1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?
I guess I’m a little bit of a snob, but I don’t avoid those brands simply because of their brands. I just made a great sweater out of Lion Brand Homespun. It’s just that I made two Harry Potter scarves out of Red Heart SuperSaver and I never want to see it again. I don’t like scratchy and stiff basically. There are tons of Hobby Lobby brand yarn that I’m absolutely in love with though. So it’s not a huge snobbery.
Addendum – I’m stealing an answer here (with modifications) “I’m [a] vegan [knitter], so I have to get into some acrylics and other synthetics unless I want to go broke but I prefer materials that are kind to the environment, like natural fibers or recycled ones.” (from Vegan Knitter) But to be fair, it’s more that I want to branch out into these. I do a lot of cotton and manmade stuff.
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have lovely brand new needle cases. (See pictures in the next post.)
4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I’ve been knitting (on and off) since ’97, but just started again in earnest the last year or two. I’m good with double points, I’ve done socks and sweaters, but I’ve not tried fancy colorwork, so I’d say intermediate.
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
6. What’s your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Food. Especially pumpkin pie, banana bread, and coconut.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
A bit. Sour grapefruit slices and dark chocolate are my favorites.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I’m a one craft girl right now, but I’d be up for trying others. I used to cross stitch in high school and I had a latch hook rug once, but I lost it before I finished it. That’s kind of sad. I had a really great book I lost before I finished once too. It was an 1800 page book! I had less than 100 pages to go. But I swear it’s not a pattern. It’s just those two.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Emo and indie rock mostly. Some of my favorites are on the lefthand sidebar. I’m currently totally in love with Minus the Bear and Brendan Benson and the Wellfed Boys. Also stuff like My Chemical Romance, The Killers, and Hot Hot Heat. What are they called these days? Rock? I don’t have TV or radio, so I have no idea what’s out there besides what my brother tells me about and what I learn from Pandora.com. Yes I can play MP3s.
10. What’s your favorite color? Or–do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can’t stand?
Hmm… My standard answer would be black, but knitting is more fun with bright ridiculous colors like pink and orange and green. Preferably all at once. I’m also currently in love with the chocolate/salmon combo. I probably can’t do too much with yellow. Or pastels.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I’m single and live on my own with my kitty B.
12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I don’t have much need for any of those in Austin. But I have plans to make those Broad Street Mittens from Knitty anyway.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I really enjoyed knitting with Cotton Classic by Tahki * Stacy Charles, but I don’t really have a favorite. I kinda go by feel or what the pattern calls for. I really like soft cottons.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
More answer stealing – “No animal fibers for me please. I would consider using them if I could be assured they were gathered peacefully and by a cruelty-free, loving human.” (from me, Mavis)
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
I’m getting into projects on smaller needles.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I like to make clothes that I or someone will actually wear. Or a purse I will actually use. I like practical things. I also like fast things. I’ve just started on socks. They’re definitely fun, but I don’t see myself becoming sock crazed.
17. What are you knitting right now?
A scarf for a two year old. But I had a delivery attempt notice for me today, so soon I’ll be making the Drunken Argyle sweater vest from Knitty.
18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Circular, unless it’s for something particularly narrow, like a scarf, or if it requires double points. I haven’t learned the magic circle yet, but I kinda like double points. I really like having the project hang out in the middle of the circulars, it’s much easier on your hands and wrists than straights for a bulky project. In terms of gifts though, I have the Denise kit, so I don’t need any circulars size 5 or above.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Depends on the yarn. I use them all.
21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Nope. Do I covet them? Yup. I also covet cute stitch markers.
22. How did you learn to knit?
From a friend from Calculus class. Then years later I realized I was doing it backwards in two different ways (wrong hands and twisting), so I taught myself to do it right from the internet before going to a job interview to knit scarves. We agreed it didn’t make a difference for what she wanted me to do, so I kept doing it my old way. Then last winter I finally stuck with it and made the switch to knitting correctly so I could follow patterns more easily and teach other people if I wanted to.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
Thankfully less than a year. I have an octopus in need of his last limb since about maybe March? Oh wait! There’s an afghan I started in college that I made a whole bunch of squares for and then forgot about. That will probably remain a UFO for life.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Cephalopods! And really, pretty much all sea creatures. The ocean is amazing.
25. What is your favorite holiday?
Thanksgiving. I get to be with my family for a long dinner, our favorite shows (Doctor Who and Star Trek), dessert, coffee and lots of conversation. Plus, my mom makes the whole spread vegan (excluding the turkey for her and Dad). It’s so nice to have such a food centered holiday totally revamped to be full of delicious things for me. I love my family!
26. Is there anything that you collect?
I actually collect super bouncy balls. Like the ones from quarter machines.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
I’d like my own copy of Knit Socks!(thanks SP!) and I need a pair of size 1 32” circulars, but I’ll probably buy those myself next week since I’ll need them for that Drunken Argyle. I’m on a hunt for self striping (or at least color changing) vegan sock yarn. I plan to post more on my findings on vegan yarns soon. I got some great comments a while back and found a few things web searching too. I’m also dying to make the Snowballs Chance in Hell wristwarmers from Anticraft. But that’s a free pattern, so I guess it doesn’t count here. It’s more about picking colors (simple black with white snow – more likely to get worn, or wild pink and green – more fun?) and finding a good yarn substitution. Oh! And I’m interested in trying soy silk and bamboo yarns. And what’s this about banana fiber? Now if that’s not a million hints I don’t know what is. I need to remember to send my friends and family to this post for birthday ideas come July.
29. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?
Dunno. I’m learning intarsia now.
30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I’ve just started. How are you supposed to measure feet? I wear a women’s size 10 or 11.
31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)