1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I like cotton quite a bit, but I also like playing with some of the newer yarns out there. I try to be eco friendly and do my part, so things like sustainable, natural, recycled, and organic are
always good. I like to try new/weird yarns. I haven’t tried corn yet. I’m interested in linen. I’ve also been eying up this butter bamboo for a shirt or vest. I don’t use animal fibers, this includes silk.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a nice set of needle holders – the cloth roll kind – one each for straights, double points, and circulars.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I’ve been knitting (on and off) since ’97, but just started again in earnest around ’04. I’m good with double points, I’ve done socks and sweaters, and I’m working on some intarsia, but I’m not out there writing crazy patters like Euny, so I’d say intermediate.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yep, right here.
5. What’s your favorite scent?
I like food scents: banana bread, pumpkin pie, coconut, chocolate, cookie, cake, yum.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Definitely have a sweet tooth, I like dark chocolate (especially with fruit or nuts in it) and gummy candies (without gelatin).
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I don’t spin, but I do tons of other things. I weave, sew, bead, garden, cook, embroider, cross stitch, latch hook, and generally enjoy crafts of all types. I especially want to get back into cross stitching, but am having trouble finding cool patterns. I’m not interested in the traditional fare, but I’m also not interested in the subversive cross stitch, oo look, we use curse words, kind of stuff. I like Miss Wooly’s patterns, but would also like to find something more complicated. If I get really ambitious I’m going to look into making my own, I think there’s free software for that. If so, I’m doing this album cover for Shawn. Anyone who wants to be my hero and make that into a chart and tell me how much of which colors I need to buy, feel free.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I don’t really listen to much music on my own these days. I listen to podcasts and audiobooks mostly. But if you have something awesome you want to share, I can play MP3s.
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand?
I wear a lot of brown and black. Then I mix in some pale blues or pale pinks. I don’t do electric colors. I’m more neutrals. I also like deep eggplant and lavender.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Shawn and I have a little menagerie – Parker Pug is 4, Mashti Pug is just 6 months old, and B Kitty is 2. We’re also frequently visited by Thomas the frog/toad who likes to say hi to Mashti through the backyard sliding glass door, and Thomas the ancient Egyptian evil god/scarab, who likes to visit throughout the house, including the bathroom, the guest bedroom, and under my pillow at night when the lights are out, where he likes to pretend to be B and scratch at my hand. Why yes, I did scream and jump out of the bed.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Not so much.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I like things that are simple and that I can work on without requiring too much attention, stuff that is easy to pack up and take places and start and stop and pick up again. I like to make myself cardigans.
13. What are you knitting right now?
Drunken Argyle for my dad. The opposite of everything I just said above. But I really wanted to make that pattern. And I need to get cracking on it! I promised I’d have it done by this Christmas. (Which would be 2 years after I started it – life got the better of me for a while…)
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes! I especially like small letterpress items.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I make just about everything on circulars from my Denise kit, unless it’s for something particularly narrow, like a scarf, or if it requires double points. I haven’t learned the magic circle yet, but I kinda like double points. I really like having the project hang out in the middle of the circulars, it’s much easier on your hands and wrists than straights for a bulky project. In terms of gifts though, I have the Denise kit, so I don’t need any circulars size 5 or above.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
No, but I covet them!
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Let’s not count my afghan from ’97, because I’ve fully abandoned that, so we’ll say Drunken Argyle.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Thanksgiving. I get to be with my family for a long dinner, our favorite shows (Doctor Who and Star Trek), dessert, coffee and lots of conversation. Plus, my mom makes the whole spread vegan (excluding the turkey for her and Dad). It’s so nice to have such a food centered holiday totally revamped to be full of delicious things for me. I love my family!
19. Is there anything that you collect?
I actually collect super bouncy balls. Like the ones from quarter machines.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Any of the books in my amazon wish list. Yarns I linked to in the first question. Needles, I’m set. Patterns: “Ram’s Horn Jacket” from Knitting Nature, Sweet Mary Jane, Sizzle. I subscribe to Craft and Adorn. Edited to add – I can’t find my Chibi or yarn needles anywhere, so any cute little holder and some more needles would be cool too. ETA2 – My dog ate my row counter and I broke my retractable measuring tape, so those would be good things too.
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?
Duplicate stitching, magic circle for socks, woodworking. 🙂
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Nope. Size 10/11 womens.
23. When is your birthday?
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what’s your ID?