My weaving guild decided to do a photo challenge last summer. The goal was to have your entry done for the Christmas party. Many of us let that deadline slip past, but most everyone still had theirs done in time for the Contemporary Handweavers of Texas conference in March. Not me. I finished Monday. I’m still working on pulling over the rest of my old posts, but eventually you should be able to select the category “guild photo challenge” and see all the progress leading up to this point.
We started with the picture to the right here, which immediately screamed waffle weave to me. And waffle weave screamed dishcloths. I went through my stash and picked out cottons that were as close as possible to the pallet in the picture and figured out the threading to get the yellow to peek out in the middle. I have to say, I’m pretty pleased with how these turned out. Some of the floats are a teensy bit long, but not so much so that they’ll be a problem. I like the variegated towels much more than the grey or the tan, so I’m glad I made two of them right off the bat. I wound up with three full towels and one washcloth/napkin sized one.
First a few more on loom shots:
And a close up to see how the inspiration relates to the structure:
The finished towels. The left and center towels have the same variegated warp, so you’re seeing the front of one and the back of the other. The right one has a grey warp and the bottom one has the tan warp.:
A shot to show how different the fronts and backs are: