And another questionnaire, this one from A Vegan Evolution:
1. What single thing most inspired you to take the leap from being an omnivore/vegetarian to being a vegan?
The environmental impact of factory farming was the key fact that switched me over. But somewhere in there the ethical and ideological aspects ingrained themselves in me and they’re what keeps me veg even more so than the environmental.
2. Are you 100% vegan (food wise at least) or do you sometimes eat non-vegan food, and if do so, under what circumstances does it usually happen?
I had been vegan at home and vegetarian when eating out. I’m switching closer to fully vegan. I don’t think it’s actually possible to be 100%. I do my best to minimize my impact along my various ideological lines (eating locally, minimally processed and minimally chemically treated and genetically modified foods, supporting small businesses, not harming animals, etc). The transgressions tend to fall under either forgetting to ask (like this morning I forgot to ask whether the chocolate was vegan in my mocha, I’m out of the habit), though I’ve always tended to allow some random cravings to have their moments. When I was at my most vegan, we’d order pizza (with 1/3 the amount of cheese you would normally use please) about 2 or 3 times a year.
3. Where do you stand on the whole B12 thing? Do you take supplements, eat fortified foods, do you even care? (not to preach but you really should!)
I take supplements when I remember and tend to assume it’s tossed in to a fair amount of vegan things as well.
4. Which rocks – Tofu, seitan, or that other stuff, what do you call it, Tempeh?
Tofu and seitan rock. Tempeh is gross.
5. What are your top 5 vegan meals?
1. My mom made me a killer chicken and dumplings once
2. She also does a kick ass Thanksgiving dinner spread
3. Lazy tacos – flour tortillas toasted over the open flame on the stove, add canned re-fried beans, avocado and sour supreme. No real cooking required, and only a spoon for a utensil.
4. Pierogis with sour supreme, marinara sauce and earth balance.
5. Reuben sandwhich
6. Are you vegan and proud, get used to it! Or do you sometimes keep it quiet? You know what i mean!
I’m a keep it quiet. I get tired of defending myself. I’m not attacking you or telling you what to eat, why do you feel the need to do so to me?
7. What is your all-time favourite vegan cookbook?
The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen. Hands down!
8. What is your favourite vegan food blog?
9. What is the most annoying thing about being vegan? Come on, you can have a good rant if you want, you’re amongst friends!
Feeling like I have to be well versed in all the arguments for every possible thing someone is going to throw at me. I’m just not interested in being an activist.
10. What food do you really hate (vegan food that is)?
Tempeh. Over cooked pasta. Grilled vegetables (as the only choice on the menu).