I’m not doing VeganMoFo because there’s no way I can commit to blogging every day right now, plus the current rule right now is eat up everything in the house before we go shopping, which has left me eating a bit more non-vegan items than I might normally. Especially all the fancy cheeses we got for a dinner party. But once they’re gone I’m back to swearing off cheese. I don’t know why it is that I will randomly forget about and then remember rennet. Ugh. But on to the meme (snagged from Vegan Pi):
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
Back when I drank milk I had a glass with every meal, but I pretty much never sit down and have a glass of soymilk. We’ve been a Silk household, mainly because it’s so easy to find, but lately Shawn has fallen in love with Wild Oats store brand vanilla. He’s also a big fan of VitaSoy. I can’t find it often anymore, but I used to love 8th Continent chocolate soymilk. I vaguely remember there being some reason I’m not supposed to like 8th Continent though… Love the internet – it would appear it had lanolin, but is all better now.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook? when?
- Focaccia (when – once I get some yeast)
- Tiramisu cupcakes (when – soon, now that I’m stocked up on soymilk again, hmmm, but I probably need sugar too…)
- Whatever I can throw together out of the cupboards – most likely it will involve noodles, though it could also be lazy tacos – flour tortillas warmed over the open flame on the stove with refried beans and sour supreme – no dishes and the only utensil is a spoon = lazy (when – next time I need to eat)
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
In the creepy column – I used to crumble up goldfish crackers and pretzels onto my popcorn, sometimes, if I was eating pasta with sauce for dinner, I would toss the popcorn in with the last of the sauce. Yeah. I know.
Lately just salt.
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
Shawn would say the curry we just tried to make, but it was just kind of bland. One time when I was newly vegan I tried to make seitan stroganoff for a dinner party. What a sweet friend I had to not complain. I think I had about 4 really bad idea substitutions based on what I had on hand – example – I only had vanilla soymilk. That was a disaster!
5. Favorite pickled item?
My aunt’s kitchen floor pickles.
6. How do you organize your recipes?
I mostly use ones out of my cookbooks, which are just lined up by height. I also have a 3 ring binder with my clipped ones.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
Philly soft pretzels and slurpees – that’s 1 item FYI
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
Eating cream of wheat and feeling special because we were sitting at Grandma’s breakfast bar and no one stopped us from putting too much brown sugar on top.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
Soy delicious chocolate velvet
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
My aunt’s homemade raspberry jam
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
My killer vegan nachos
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
Baking on a lazy Sunday afternoon
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
Extra paper towels, tortilla chips, junk of Shawn’s from before I moved in that I have no idea what it is, the router.
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
Pierogis, coffee, brocoli
20. What’s on your grocery list?
Better than cream cheese, bagels, soy creamer, soymilk, tortillas, luna bars …
21. Favorite grocery store?
Locally – Wheatsville, Nationally – Trader Joes
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
Belgian waffles – Shawn’s favorite box mix has whey and/or egg whites in it (can’t remember) but we have yet to make a vegan version that he can stand.
23. Food blog you read the most. Or maybe the top 3?
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
Those chocolate bars with the endangered animals on the front – the one with coffee in it.
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
Almond filling stuff.
26. Make up your own question to put here (and answer it).
Favorite vegan propaganda?